RADOMSKO

Radomsko is one of the oldest cities in Poland. Its history dates back to 1243, when the first reference to the city appeared in document undersigned by Konrad of Mazovia, Prince of Poland. In 1266 the city was granted civic rights by Prince Leszek the Black.
. The medieval is a period in which Radomsko witnessed an economic boom. In 1382 and 1384 Radomsko was the place where the nobility gathered and decided to elect Hedwig, the younger daughter of Louis of Hungary, to the Polish throne. It is believed that at that time Radomsko had a bricked townhall, church and school. Radomsko was a significant centre of commerce situated on the merchant route leading from Silesia to Russia. XVIIth century was for the town, likewise for all the Poland, a period of social and economic downturn.
The people of Radomsko Area have a great independence struggle tradition. Many of them had taken part in Ko¶ciuszko Uprising, in November Uprising of 1830, and January Uprising of 1863. In 1848 a Warsaw–Vienna Railroad crossed through the city. Radomsko took advantage of convenient location. New, large industrial companies began to spring up. In 1879 French entrepreneurs settled here and after buying up premises of Szai Ruziewicz's oilcloth factory, set up Anonymous Society of Metallurgy in Russia in Noworadomsk. In the 1870's, Michael Thonet sons from Vienna had adapted the old mill to furniture factory. This has been a milestone in Radomsko history as it had transformed the town into the centre of furniture industry.
In the second half of XIXth century on Polish land a period of creating social organizations started. With industry and city boom there was a need for setting up an fire–fighting organization. On October the 23rd 1881 foundation of Voluntary Fire Brigade was solemnly inaugurated. Apart from doing its everyday tasks the organization contributed greatly to the culture life of Radomsko. Under the auspices of the Fire Brigade amateur theatre was set up. At that time also Radomsko Cycling Society which popularized tennis and cycling was created. The rapid development of the city was hampered by the outbreak of WWI. Radomsko had been occupied by Austrian forces. Radomsko Railway Station sustained heavy damages and was destroyed.
In 1918 our city after 123 years of enslavement had regained independence. City's deliverance from the Russian occupation took effect on November the 7th 1918. The City of Radomsko had been included to the ŁódĽ Province. One of the first decisions of Radomsko City Council was the Act of reviving its old name Radomsko from Noworadomsk, which was used under Russian occupation.
In 1919 The 20–year period between WWI and WWII was the time of education and culture institutions development. In 1921 Gymnastics Society „Falcon”, Army Reserve Officers Society, Hunting Society, Women's League, Polish Red Cross was set up here. The traditions of amateur theatre were continued by „Kinema” Theater and S. Moniuszko Choral Society. Few newspapers were published including „Gazeta Radomszczańska” and „Niwa Czerwonokrzyska”. In the pre–war times society of Radomsko showed great generosity contributing money and jewellery to the National Defense Fund.
In September 1939 Radomsko was situated in the centre of offensive of 10th German Army commanded by Gen. Walter von Reichenau. First bombardments of the city started already on September the 1st 1939 at 5 AM. Following German invasion a mass deportations to concentration camps, coercive work camps and pacifications began. In 1940 a jewish ghetto had been sealed, in 1942 and 1943 a mass deportations of people of Jewish origin to the Treblinka concentration camp took place. Thus the whole Jewish community of Radomsko was exterminated.

BACK


Copyright © 2000 Zdzisław Wi¶niewski Wszelkie prawa zastrzeżone.